can you believe this crap?! from the papers of diana freeburg

worlds most fascinating college graduate

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dear Diary,

I haven't given up on you. Let's make up for lost time. I have a gorgeous new macbook and it's time to get back into the game. (sorry dad, I feel like a traitor. I know we're PC people. but if you were here to see these macbooks you'd understand.)

I've been thinking lately about expectations vs. reality. It seems like we're always thinking about the next best thing. My brave and brilliant friend in the Peace Corps is thinking about the stability and predictability of home, I'm fantasizing about quitting my job and going to South America to learn Spanish and do I don't know what. There's this article on the website www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com that basically says that white people are always thinking that they deserve to take a "year off" from things that the rest of the people consider a privilege to have, such as careers and educations. I'm working 40 hours per week, I'm getting healthcare, what the hell do I have to complain about? Hell, I have a view of about 30 feet of the Bay Bridge from a San Francisco high rise. I'm thinking about the next step in my career, and what I want to do with my life, and basically what I've come up with is this:

1. feel good about what I'm doing (work for a good company)
2. be involved in personal finance
3. be in charge of something
4. work in a tall building

I'm doing three out of four of these things already! Right now, the compromise would be that the only thing I'm in charge of at my job is what I'm having for lunch. But three out of four isn't bad. I'm starting to worry that it's not the job that I don't like it's the whole working thing I'm not fond of. I have a friend who gets paid $25/hour plus benefits to walk dogs and even he's not satisfied with his job. I saw a book once that was called "how to fall in love with the man you married." Can someone please write a book called "how to look forward to going to work on Monday, because your job is actually pretty decent?"

Love,
Diana

PS. I just realized that my last post was right when I got this job! funny how things have changed.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger ezPz said...

Work has this tendency to get boring doesn't it! I might be headed to South America too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home