can you believe this crap?! from the papers of diana freeburg

worlds most fascinating college graduate

Friday, January 06, 2006

Dear Diary,
Today I got an interesting phone call. It was a wrong number. The guy didn't even say hi, he was just like "DUDE, ARE YOU AT THE SUMMIT?" So I'm assuming he was calling from a chairlift at Snoqualmie. I told him he had the wrong number and he apologized profusely. However his language was sort of garbled, like he had spaghetti for brains and thus had trouble forming sentences. But five minutes later I get ANOTHER call, from the same number. I pick it up and he's like, "So, I hate to bother you and stuff, but do you have a boyfriend? See, my buddies and I are having a party tonight, and you sound way hot on the phone. Do you go to the Dub?" (U-dub=University of Washington) So in my best of-course-I'm-way-to-cute-for-you voice, I'm like, "A lot of my friends go to the Dub, and me having a boyfriend is none of your bidness" He told me to call him if I wanted to come to the party later since his number was in my phone already. Is it bad that some random stoned dude saying my voice was cute made my day?
My mom and I just watched the most boring and uninspired Bill Murray movie ever. Made me think. "wow, this is just as boring and uninspired as Lost in Translation was." If I had removed all of the shots of Bill just sitting on a plane, or driving in his car, the movie would have been ten minutes long. "Broken Flowers" Don't see it. My mom says the director must have been arrogant about his "vision" to think that people would have liked such a boring movie.
Love,
Diana

4 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's what I wrote my MY blog about BF back in August:
Broken Flowers is an engaging film. Jarmusch used enough tricks, like his interesting use of slow zooms and identityless Americana to keep my brain working the entire time. I'm just about done with Bill Murray playing a somber old guy, but he's better in Broken Flowers than either Lost in Translation or The Life Aquatic. I wish that the supporting females could've gotten more screen time, but overall the story and situations for comedy worked. You barely learn anything about Murray's character--he supposedly is a Don Juan, which itself is laughable. Overall the film had a very true flaneur-like view of women, which isn't anything novel in cinema, but came off as more heartfelt here.
It's not an amazing film, but I'm glad my parents bought my $9.00 ticket to see it.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know this will sound weird but ... lost in translation was a really great movie :) it might be boring just a little, but saying its "uninspired", that's harsh :) anyways, here's my comment and i believe it's been more than a year since we last spoke. i'd love to get an e-mail from you (even a facebook wall post thing would make me happy). anyways, hope you are feeling great and have a happy new year.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Diana said...

so brad,
you are so so WRONG about broken flowers. now i can see that you are simply a tool that bought into the arrogance of the director. I don't watch movies because I want "interesting use of slow zooms" I want fireworks, damnit!

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, go watch Fantastic Four! It must be fantastic, it says so in the title.

p.s.: it's not fantastic.
Plus, if I was in love with zooms, I'd just watch Panic Room over and over. They zoom through a keyhole. A keyhole! Fantastic! or not.

I don't think Jarmusch is arrogant by creating the movie's tone. Unique or misguided, maybe, but not arrogant. Though he is a bit of an auteur. I haven't seen any other of his films, so I can't comment further. I think my sister likes the one with Johnny Depp.

Honestly, I don't even remember the slow zooms right now, but I bet they were just original enough to brake me out of my post-session 5 malaise. I mean, it's not like my eyes can slow zoom. Unless I walk slowly, maybe.

p.p.s.: I also like Colbert, but not as much as Jon Stewart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home