can you believe this crap?! from the papers of diana freeburg

worlds most fascinating college graduate

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Dear Diary,
Today I worked for 8 and a half hours. that should be illegal. But it's good for me. I'll probably do this tomarrow as well. it makes me feel a little better about the excesses of christmas, to be working my way through it.
I found out today that one of my favorite teachers from highschool died last week. Mr. Neubeck. How come I know so many teachers that died from horrible cancers before they even got a chance to retire properly? I have some good Mr. Neubeck memories. I can't remember a whole lot that i learned in his class, but that seems less important than getting to know someone who was such a vivid personality. He had a lot of stories to tell us. Like how he met MLK in the middle of the night at Howard University and didn't even know it was him. He was full of stories, and for lack of a better word, wisdom.
He would always come to knowledge bowl at lunch, and he would be an extreme asset to the team that he chose to sit with. I was always team C. He was usually team B, sitting there with his school lunch. He got a lot of kids to go to knowledge bowl because he would give extra credit. I feel like someone should tell the new teacher that took his place to give extra credit for going to knowledge bowl. It's only fair. How else will kids know it's there? And grow to love it like i did? I think Neubeck had a pretty profound love for trivia games. Because on top of knowledge bowl at lunch, he would make his classes play news quiz once a week. That's quite a bit of time to devote to quizzing about current events.
He was so good a puns. I wish I could think of one right now for him, but none are coming. He was a great guy. We will miss him.
Love,
Diana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home